Expert Advice & News

What is a CP12 and What are Landlord Safety Checks?

As a landlord, you are required to have all rented property checked, but it isn’t always clear what these checks include. By law, landlords are required to have CP12 certificates (for gas safety) and must have gas safety checks carried out annually. While this may still seem confusing, keep reading and this information will start to make more sense!

What is a CP12?

Gas safety certificates/ records are commonly called CP12 certificates. CP12 = CORGI Proforma 12
This relates to when CORGI was the main body for gas safety in the UK. CORGI has since been replaced by the Gas Safe Register, but the name ‘CP12’ has remained the same. Before 2009, gas engineers had to be CORGI-registered whereas, now, they have to be on the Gas Safe register.

So, what are Landlord Gas Safety Certificates?

CP12 certificates, landlord gas safety certificates, CP12 forms and gas safety records are all the same thing and have the same requirements.
By law, all landlords must get all gas appliances serviced annually to ensure they are safe and efficient. When these checks have been carried out, you will receive a CP12 certificate stating your gas appliances have been checked in the last 12 months by a gas safe engineer.
New tenants must be provided with a copy of the certificate before they move in, and they must be provided to existing tenants 28 days after their completion. The certificates will contain the results from the annual gas safety checks carried out on all gas appliances in the house. As well as this, tenants must be provided with records of any action taken to fix any issues there may have been.

- CP12 certificates can only be legally issued by a gas safe engineer.
- You should keep all of your old CP12s as you will need them for at least two years after the year they were issued.

Should carbon monoxide alarms be supplied for gas safety?

Yes, as a landlord you must supply full working and tested carbon monoxide alarms in any room used as living accommodation that uses solid fuel. Examples of this are a log burning stove, a wood burner, a gas fire or an open fire. A decorative, unusable open fire does not qualify.

A brief summary of landlord gas safety responsibilities

  • Only allow gas safe registered engineers to install or work on any gas appliances
  • Only allow gas safe registered engineers to carry out the annual gas safety check on all gas appliances in the home
  • Supply existing tenants with a copy of the CP12 within 28 days of the check/ to new tenants before they move in
  • Show tenants how to turn off the mains gas and what do to in case of emergency

Quality plumbing and heating in Guildford

Here at Chedd ltd., we offer a range of plumbing and heating services in Guildford, Farncombe, Godalming, Shalford, Albury, Bramley, Woking, Shere, Gomsahll, Chilworth, Dunsfold, Farnham, Hindhead.
For more information about your responsibility as a landlord, or to find out more about the services we offer, email us at or ring us at 01483 534552 / 07785 522844 (24 hour).